Meditation is a simple yet powerful tool that helps in cleansing the stress and agitation of the mind. It helps us to observe our mind, emotions and behavior and improves our ability to regulate our response to the environment. The benefits of meditation are many and there are no side effects.
- Meditation aids in reducing the stress of any kind from the mind and body. It is a state where the mind is still without any agitation. It calms the nervous system and helps us to take charge of our emotional balance.
- Meditation helps the person to be more focused. The continual process of mind drifting away and coming back into the present strengthens our ability to focus on the task at hand.
- The meditator becomes more aware of the surroundings and focusses on what is the best for his mind and body. He can perceive things better as he is not controlled by his mind.
- It also helps in increasing the acceptance of self and others around us. It brings about the self-awareness and makes the person to become more relaxed.
- Meditation slows down the ageing process. It aids release toxins from the body and helps the person to age happily and gracefully.
It is a good practice to include meditation in our daily schedule. Anyone can practice it and there is no age restriction. The more we meditate, the easier it will become to enter into calm and relaxed state. After retirement, it is easy for seniors to spend more time in meditation and learn more about self.