In case of Alzheimer’s or dementia in any person, care giving is the essential part of their sustenance in the world as each of such patients are unique in their own way. The patients with Alzheimer or dementia of any kind have depleting cognitive skills leading to erratic behaviour and do show personality changes on the go. Taking care of such people is difficult but not impossible with the help of certain steps at the care taker’s end. The same steps have been detailed out in the segment provided below.
Care for Alzheimer’s and Dementia Patient
A person providing care for Alzheimer’s and Dementia patient needs to have a complete clarity of the situation that the patient is going through. The analysis is necessary for the kind of attention required by the patient on all levels from medication to food and other personal works.
- The caretaker needs to understand the signs of Alzheimer’s or Dementia like confusion of time of place, mood swings, misplacing things, unwise financial decisions etc. One needs to be cautiously handling such people and help them when they need care.
- The fact needs to be remembered and noted like medical appointments, important dates and events etc for the patients in trouble for coordinating the work.
- Always provide positive reply for any kind of questions asked by the patients even though repeated questions are asked time and again.
- Safety is the major concern for such patients and the care givers might get be on their toes to give extra care like prevention of fall, slips etc.
- The patients should not to be left alone at any point of time without utmost care as they are not in their sense all the time.
The above needs to be governed well to take care of the Alzheimer’s and Dementia patients in order to keep them safe and guarded in an secured and lovely environment.